Exchange programme | Speech-Language Pathology
Set the tone with Speech-Language Pathology
- Are you a people person? Are you fascinated by voice, speech, fluency, language, learning and/or swallowing? Then the Speech-Language Pathology exchange programme is for you!
Speech-Language Pathology International Network [SLP-IN]
The Speech-Language Pathology International Network (SLP-IN) is a consortium of 19 SLP-departments across the world devoted to advance the profession of SLP by networking through education, research and professional practice.
Extended worldwide collaborations
The Speech Language Pathology department collaborates with several international partners, in which staff and students are actively involved. These ongoing collaborations focus on research as well as on community working and educational exchange. Some examples:
- Suriname - Anton de Kom Universiteit, Paramaribo: research focus on early childhood education; student internships and theses.
- Lebanon - Université Saint-Joseph, Beirut: research focus on bilingualism and stuttering.
- USA – University of Texas, Austin: research focus on stuttering; student internships and theses.
- Rwanda – University of Rwanda, Kigali: focus on hearing and hearing disorders; student internships.
- The Philippines – University of Santo Tomas, Manila: focus on community based research in rural areas; student internships and theses.
- Hong Kong – The Education University of Hong Kong: focus on bilingualism, stuttering, community services; student internships.
- Exam regulations
- Personal coaching
The international program of Speech-Language Pathology consists of English SLP courses that add
up to 30 ECTS. As some of the courses are part of the third year of the regular bachelor program
(Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology & Audiology), a basic knowledge of the main fields in
SLP is required.
If you master Dutch, you can also attend the regular courses taught in Dutch. The combination of courses of the international program and the regular program can be restricted by planning issues.
Please check the prerequisites of every course carefully before applying. Thomas More University of Applied Sciences, campus Antwerp@Sint-Andries remains the right to change the learning agreement upon arrival if the student does not meet the requirements to enter the course.
The academic year in a nutshell
Below you can find an overview of the courses ( under reservation of changes), with the number of credits per course. Credits express how many hours you need on average to process the subject matter (incl. lessons). Count about 25 to 30 hours for 1 study credit.
- We have explained the most important courses in a blue tooltip.
- Would you like to know the detailed content of each subject? Check the programme guide.
- Courses marked with a * are offered fully online. This means you don't have to physically come to Belgium to take these courses.
Code ECTS Autumn Spring Fluency i Y02830 3 x Dyslexia i Y00847 3 x Dyscalculia i Y02820 3 x Billingualism i Y01087 3 x Cognitive rehabilitation therapy i Y01086 3 x Code ECTS Autumn Spring Dysphagia i Y01096 3 x Orofacial myofuncional disorders i Y01092 3 x Medical English i Y01081 3 x Survival Dutch i Y04001 3 x Global Interprofessional Collaboration in Health Care* i Y01103 3 x Code ECTS Autumn Spring Fluency i Y02830 3 x Dyslexia i Y00847 3 x Dyscalculia i Y02820 3 x Billingualism i Y01087 3 x Cognitive rehabilitation therapy i Y01086 3 x Dysphagia i Y01096 3 x Orofacial myofuncional disorders i Y01092 3 x Medical English i Y01081 3 x Survival Dutch i Y04001 3 x Global Interprofessional Collaboration in Health Care* i Y01103 3 x
A basic knowledge of the main fields in SLP is required. Students understand scientific literature in English.
Exam period: January
Retakes: August (standard). Exceptions can be discussed with the SLP international coordinator.
Yes, we care
During your exchange you can count on a whole support team to truly make you feel at home at Thomas More. The International Support Team, the International Office, your 'buddy', Student Services (STUVO), all of our lecturers and many more will personally guide you to ensure that you blend in from the beginning and prosper so that we help you to deploy and nurture your talents. You will never feel alone.
Need to know
- Additional studies
- In Dutch
- In English