Professional Bachelor (English)
Drive your ambition further!
- High-octane blood runs through your veins and fuels your passion for cars, trucks, motorcycles and all things automotive!
- You’re keen to dive deeper into all areas of the automotive industry from mechanical to electronic engineering and motorsport.
- Become an expert in all major automotive systems.
- Learn how to diagnose a wide range of electronic and mechanical faults.
- Turn your hobby into a full-blown profession through intensive training.
- Explore the latest technological innovations from internal combustion engines to alternative hybrid and electric drivetrain systems.
- Become a future-proof automotive specialist with an emphasis on diagnostic techniques, trending technologies and management skills.
- Choose from three specialisation tracks to launch your career in Trucks, Motorcycles or Motorsport.
- Start this flexible 6-semester programme either in February or September.
Automotive Technology Center
Step inside our Automotive Technology Centre and find more than 20 different vehicles along with all kinds of setups for you to test them out on. From a 4x4 dynamometer to suspension, brake and engine test benches. For real hands-on learning!
Master Technician Certificate
Add this elective to your final semester and get the qualifications you need to kick-start your career. Brand-specific OEM training will open the doors to employment opportunities at official dealerships of all the major car manufacturers.
- In practice/Workplace learning
- Personal coaching
- Go international
- Admission requirements
- Extra financial information
- Phase 1 | Get a solid grounding in the basics of automotive technology and general sciences. A mix of theoretical classes and hands-on practical labs will hone your problem-solving skills as you apply them to diagnosing electrical and mechanical faults and system failures.
- Phase 2 | Work on electric and hybrid cars and familiarise yourself with the latest diagnosis tools that will shape you into a future-proof professional. Explore the world of alternative fuel system technologies and specialise in either Motorsport Engineering, Motorcycles, Trucks or Heavy Duty Vehicles.
- Phase 3 | Immerse yourself in the fast-moving field of autonomous driving systems and deep dive into your own specific topic in your final semester as part of your bachelor’s thesis.
Below you can find an overview of the courses (under reservation of changes), with the number of credits per phase. Credits express how many hours you need on average to process the subject matter (incl. lessons). Count about 25 to 30 hours for 1 study credit.
- We have explained the most important courses in a blue tooltip.
Phase 1 2 3 DRIVETRAIN Drivetrain Technologies i 6 Internal Combustion Engines i 6 Fuel Systems and Alternative Fuels i 6 Electric and Hybrid Drive Technologies i 3 Mechanical Automotive Systems i 6 Battery Systems and Accumulators i 3 DATA AND COMMUNICATION Vehicle Electronics 6 4 Automotive IT i 3 3 Vehicle Networks i 4 Engine Management i 6 Autonomous Vehicles and ADAS i 6 DIAGNOSTICS Automotive Electricity i 6 6 Automotive Testing 3 Diagnosis Expert i 6 APPLIED SCIENCES Mechanics 3 Strength of Materials 3 Phase 1 2 3 Applied Math 6 Thermodynamics in Automotive 6 Hydraulics and Pneumatics for Automotive 3 Materials and Welding Technology 3 Chemical Processes 3 Vehicle Dynamics 3 PROFESSIONAL SKILLS Entrepreneurship 3 Expertise and Insurances 3 Ethics and Morality 3 International Experience 3 PROJECT / INTERNSHIP Autolab i 12 In-company Internship 4 Bachelorthesis / Internship 30 Master Technician Program 30 SPECIALISATION (choose one) 6 3 Motorsport Engineering i Motorcycles and Motorbikes Heavy Duty Vehicles and Trucks Phase 1 2 3 DRIVETRAIN Drivetrain Technologies i 6 Internal Combustion Engines i 6 Fuel Systems and Alternative Fuels i 6 Electric and Hybrid Drive Technologies i 3 Mechanical Automotive Systems i 6 Battery Systems and Accumulators i 3 DATA AND COMMUNICATION Vehicle Electronics 6 4 Automotive IT i 3 3 Vehicle Networks i 4 Engine Management i 6 Autonomous Vehicles and ADAS i 6 DIAGNOSTICS Automotive Electricity i 6 6 Automotive Testing 3 Diagnosis Expert i 6 APPLIED SCIENCES Mechanics 3 Strength of Materials 3 Applied Math 6 Thermodynamics in Automotive 6 Hydraulics and Pneumatics for Automotive 3 Materials and Welding Technology 3 Chemical Processes 3 Vehicle Dynamics 3 PROFESSIONAL SKILLS Entrepreneurship 3 Expertise and Insurances 3 Ethics and Morality 3 International Experience 3 PROJECT / INTERNSHIP Autolab i 12 In-company Internship 4 Bachelorthesis / Internship 30 Master Technician Program 30 SPECIALISATION (choose one) 6 3 Motorsport Engineering i Motorcycles and Motorbikes Heavy Duty Vehicles and Trucks
Check out an example timetable for phase 1.
In practice/Workplace learning
The classroom is where you develop your theoretical undertstanding of mechanical and electronic vehicle systems. The Automotive Technology Centre is where you put them to the test during practical lab sessions with our wide range of vehicles, installations and diagnostic and measurement tools.
But our hands-on approach doesn’t stop there! Our partnerships with local dealers, OEM manufacturers and other key industry players offer all kinds of opportunities for your phase 2 traineeship and your 12-week bachelor’s thesis internship in your final semester.
Finally, our Master Technician Certificate lets you combine either BMW’s or Volvo’s training programme within your Thomas More degree. Essential for those looking to work at licensed dealerships or OEM manufacturers.
Never hesitate to ask questions before, during and after class. You’ll find our teaching staff to be both friendly and supportive. They will give you frequent feedback on your progress and advise you on your future automotive career.
Your study counsellor will also help you put together your individual study programme, while your care coordinator is available anytime to help you develop a good study attitude and study plan.
Expand your horizons during the second or third phase of your course by studying abroad. An Erasmus or another study exchange programme can be a great way to explore the world, build a network of like-minded colleagues and acquire a different perspective on familiar topics.
You also have the option of completing your final bachelor’s thesis at one of our partner institutes in France, Portugal, Finland, The Netherlands, Germany and elsewhere.
If you join our Formula Electric Belgium student project, you’ll also have the chance to compete at various international student competitions.
Finally, our automotive experience tour in your final year will immerse you in the production lines and automotive heritage of top manufacturers such as Mercedes, BMW, Lamborghini, Ferrari and Alfa Romeo.
Our application process is really straightforward.
You will only need to meet 3 simple requirements:
Some more good news! Thomas More has no numerus clausus procedure, nor do we have a limit on the number of admitted students.
You can find more specific information about our admission requirements here.
Extra financial information
We want all our students to be able to work safely during their classes. Therefore, at the start of the academic year, you must purchase a couple of things that you will need during your studies. Below you can find a list of the extra costs that you will have on top of your tuition fee.
Description Price Electude - Online learning € 82 (year) Rental locker + purchase lock € 15 (year) Safety shoes (S3) € 75 Coveralls (welding) € 120 Basic tools € 240 Multimeter € 32 Arduino kit € 17 Electronics kit € 13 Total € 594
- Phase 1
- Phase 2
- Phase 3
- Applied Mathematics
- Automotive IT 1
- Drivetrain Technologies
- Electricity basics
- Autolab 1
- Strength of materials
- Automotive Electricity 1
- Thermodynamics for automotive
- Vehicle Electronics 1
- Internal Combustion Engines
- Hyrdaulics and Pneumatics
- Autolab 2
- Fuel Systems and alternative fuels
- Automotive Electricity 2
- Vehicle Dynamics
- In-company Internship
- Automotive IT 2
- Vehicle Networks
- Mechanical Automotive Systems
- Vehicle Electronics 2
- Engine Management
- Materials and welding technology
- Electric and Hybrid Drive Technologies
- Chemical Processes
- *Motorsport Engineering 1
- *Motorcycles and Motorbikes 1
- *Heavy Duty Vehicles and Trucks 1
- Ethics and Morality
- Autonomous Vehicles
- Automotive Testing and Simulation
- Expertise and Insurances
- Automotive Management
- *Motorsport Engineering 2
- *Motorcycles and Motorbikes 2
- *Heavy Duty Vehicles and Trucks 2
- Bachelorthesis / Internship
- Master Technician Program
Na je studie
- The job of your life
- Additional studies
- Working in Belgium
The job of your life
- Automotive Expert
- Service Advisor (OEM)
- Diagnostic Specialist
- Technical Trainer OEM Training programmes
- Fleet Management
- Technical Assistant in Automotive R&D
- Service Manager
- Workshop Manager
Master (Via switching programme)
- Industrial Engineering Electro Mechanics: Automotive Engineering
Working in Belgium
International students can now apply for a new residence permit status upon graduation so they can extend their stay in Belgium up to 12 months to find work! Eager to launch your career in Belgium after your studies? No sweat! We’re here to help you navigate the Search Year application process.