Postgraduate for teachers
Blackboards Beyond Borders
- Ready to push your personal and professional boundaries as a teacher?
- Already a qualified teacher with a high level of English?
- Learn what it takes to apply your skills in an international context.
- Develop your sensitivity for the impact of cultural differences.
- Gain key insights in intercultural competencies, didactics and pedagogy in international education, while developing your English skills.
- Reinforce your multicultural outlook while exchanging ideas and experiences as part of an international student group.
- Prepare for on-the-job learning and internships in international settings.
- Expand your international network and credentials thanks to our partnerships with global accreditation bodies and tertiary institutions.
- Transform your dream of teaching abroad into a reality with this postgraduate programme, unique in Belgium and recognised worldwide
Dreaming of teaching internationally?
In addition to an internship based theoretical framework in which we will focus on Intercultural Competencies, Didactics & Pedagogy in International Education and English language skills, we also offer first and second semester teaching experience placements in international, private or European schools in and outside Belgium. Through our intensive and individualised intern follow-up programme we help you in building up and realising your international teaching ambitions.
In need of international networking?
Since our course programme is taught in English, is open to ALL qualified teachers and we work together with global organisations such as The British Council, AFS … there will be plenty of opportunities to meet other international students, colleagues and educational partners.
- Targeted students
- In practice
- What do we offer
- Admission Requirements
- Tuition fee
- Personal coaching
- Go international
- Professional bonus
Semester 1 | Semester 1 aims at:
- the sharpening of your intercultural eyes and ears;
- an intensive English C1-level work out;
- an introduction to international school life;
- hands-on teaching portfolio work.
Semester 2 | Semester 2 focuses on:
- the application of intercultural competences and innovative educational approaches in international internship environments;
- teamteaching and personal development in international settings.
Our International Teacher Postgraduate Programme is open to all qualified teachers with a high proficiency in English (C1 level requirement before completion of the programme) who share their passion of coaching children and young adults in international educational contexts.
During this one-year part-time programme in evening and weekend classes we will
create cross-border learning and teaching environments to explore, challenge and broaden your personal and professional horizons.
Below you can find an overview of the courses (under reservation of changes), with the number of credits per phase. Credits express how many hours you need on average to process the subject matter (incl. lessons). Count about 25 to 30 hours for 1 study credit.
- We have explained the most important courses in a blue tooltip.
Semester 1 2 Internships Short International/European/or private school internship 15 Longer International/European/or private school internship 30 Semester 1 2 Theoretical framework Intercultural Competencies in Education 3 3 Teacher Development in International Contexts 3 3 Guidelines in English C1 level 3 Semester 1 2 Internships Short International/European/or private school internship 15 Longer International/European/or private school internship 30 Theoretical framework Intercultural Competencies in Education 3 3 Teacher Development in International Contexts 3 3 Guidelines in English C1 level 3
We offer first and second semester teaching experience placements in international, private or European schools in and outside Belgium. Longer internships in summer schools are possible in order to easily combine study and work.
What do we offer
- Interesting international educational contacts/references
- Traineeprogrammes and coaching in international, private, local and European schools
- Workshops, guest lectures, seminars, training sessions on different international educational systems, programmes and assessment
- 21st century international classroom skills
In addition to the general admission requirements for an English bachelor programmes, these are the specific diploma requirements for the postgraduate.
You are a qualified teacher (preschool, primary, or secondary education) with a high proficiency level of English (C1 level requirement before completion of the programme).
An additional (Skype) interview in English will take place before the start of the programme. (In view of visa procedures we advise non-EEA-students to register before May 2022).
Study exemptions and personalised trainee programmes are possible. Accreditation of prior learning can be taken into account.
- cv (resume)
- Motivation letter (stating why you are interested in the postgraduate International Teacher) which will be assessed by the programme manager.
- In addition to the cv/motivation assessment, the programme manager will conduct an (Skype) interview in English.
EEA-students = € 1990
non-EEA-students = € 2800 (€ 3100 as from academic year 2022-2023)
Travel and C1 English certificate costs not included.
Study exemptions and personalised traineeprogrammes are possible.
Accreditation of prior learning can be taken into account.
Through our intensive and individualised intern follow-up programme we help you in building up and realising your international teaching ambitions.
The programme enables students to combine work, study and take individualised internships in international settings.
We can help you in your search for suitable internship schools abroad.
- Certificate Postgraduate International Teacher
- AFS Global Competence Certificate
- IELTS & CLIL Preparation Programme
- The job of your life
- After training
- Working in Belgium
The job of your life
After your unique internship experiences, you can apply to international educational settings with a well-filled teaching portfolio.
Every teacher needs new ideas and impulses. Do you?
Perhaps the in-service training offered by LEON and Donche, our knowledge centers of the teacher training programs of Thomas More, can help you with this.
Working in Belgium
International students can now apply for a new residence permit status upon graduation so they can extend their stay in Belgium up to 12 months to find work! Eager to launch your career in Belgium after your studies? No sweat! We’re here to help you navigate the Search Year application process.