Exchange programme | Nursing
Superhero in a white cape
- Helping people is your motivation.
- You also have an interest in science and health.
- You will learn to reason, act and communicate as a nurse. Science and social skills are central. You will discover the different domains in the health and welfare sector.
- You will practice in the virtual world in the high-tech skills lab.
- You choose home care or a place in the hospital. Companies are also looking for nurses.
- Gain experience as a valuable care assistant in a learning healthcare centre.
- The care sector is in dire need of nurses!
High-tech skills lab
Our students can practice their technical and non-technical skills in a modern, high-tech skills lab. All equipment you need is available, and in addition, we offer VR experiences and simulation training in an immersive room.
Internship possibilities in specialized hospital
We work together with nearby hospitals that offer specialized care and are open to receive and train foreign students from all over the world. Your learning process will be closely guided by a Thomas More teacher.
- Exam regulations
- Personal coaching
- Care More
Nurses are called SUPERHERO’S these days and that is for a reason. Would you like to join our team of superhero’s?
The nursing programme in Mechelen offers you well arranged internship opportunities in various healthcare settings. You can choose the amount of hours you need to fit into your own study programme at home. In addition, you can add some interesting interdisciplinary or field specific courses taught in English. Most students choose to stay a semester to combine both opportunities and integrate well in the nursing student life.
The academic year in a nutshell
Below you can find an overview of the courses ( under reservation of changes), with the number of credits per phase. Credits express how many hours you need on average to process the subject matter (incl. lessons). Count about 25 to 30 hours for 1 study credit.
- We have explained the most important courses in a blue tooltip.
- Would you like to know the detailed content of each subject? Check the programme guide.
- Courses marked with a * are offered fully online. This means you don't have to physically come to Belgium to take these courses.
Code ECTS Autumn Spring Specific courses Traineeship in Nursing i on demand x x Medical English i YG0669 3 x x Evidence Based Nursing 2 i YG0755 3 x Global Nursing Care i YG0852 3 x International Activity 1 i YG0687 3 x x Code ECTS Autumn Spring International Activity 2 i YG0797 3 x x Tour of Flanders i n.a. 3 x Interdisciplinary courses Survival Dutch i YR0181 3 x x Intercultural Communication i YR0129 3 x x Code ECTS Autumn Spring Specific courses Traineeship in Nursing i on demand x x Medical English i YG0669 3 x x Evidence Based Nursing 2 i YG0755 3 x Global Nursing Care i YG0852 3 x International Activity 1 i YG0687 3 x x International Activity 2 i YG0797 3 x x Tour of Flanders i n.a. 3 x Interdisciplinary courses Survival Dutch i YR0181 3 x x Intercultural Communication i YR0129 3 x x
- Only third and fourth year nursing students are eligible for an exchange in our programme.
- Minimum level English B2 or Dutch.
Most elective courses are evaluated based on an assignment to work on during the semester.
Yes, we care
During your exchange you can count on a whole support team to truly make you feel at home at Thomas More. The International Support Team, the International Office, your 'buddy', Student Services (STUVO), all of our lecturers and many more will personally guide you to ensure that you blend in from the beginning and prosper so that we help you to deploy and nurture your talents. You will never feel alone.
If you have specific interests or want to join a session in the skills lab, you can talk to the international coordinator. She will find out what is possible for you!
Take a look at our webpage Zot Van Zorg (Crazy for Care) to see what life as a Nursing student in Mechelen looks like!
Need to know
- Practical Information
- Do you have questions regarding...
- your courses or Learning Agreement? Contact your International Coordinator !
- your nominations, application, visa or practical arrangements? Contact the International Office via email@example.com
- Application deadlines
- 15 May (to start in September)
- 31 October (to start in February)
- Do you have questions regarding...