Exchange programme | Nursing and Midwifery
The Nursing and Midwifery Exchange Programme at campus Turnhout is part of the STAR-Track Programme
Job security with a noble purpose
- You like to be among people.
- You are warm, sociable and empathetic.
- You have a great sense of responsibility.
- In this study programme, you first learn the basics of care and science.
- You will become acquainted with different care domains.
- You become better at communicating and working independently.
- You discover how to reason clinically and assess requests for care.
- Thanks to a wide range of optional subjects, you can shape your own study programme.
- Future jobs in all sectors of healthcare: in a hospital, in care for the elderly, in mental healthcare, in home care and many other sectors.
Brand new simulation room
We have a brand new simulation room in campus Turnhout. We are fully committed to providing a high-tech learning environment for our students to make everything as realistic as possible!
Great opportunities for your internship
As we work together with several hospitals and other health care providers in the region of Turnhout, Geel and Antwerp we can offer you interesting placements where you will have the opportunity to integrate your theoretical knowledge into practice and show off your skills!
On top of this you will be closely guided by a link tutor from Thomas More who will monitor and coach you and evaluate your learning process At some places it will be possible that you will be linked to a student of Thomas More. Your personal buddy!
- Courses - Additional Info
- Exam regulations
- Personal coaching
Great that you are interested in an exchange experience with the nursing or midwifery department at Thomas More campus Turnhout.
Most of you take part in one of the European Commission’s educational programmes, such as Erasmus+. Others are visiting Thomas More in the framework of an exchange agreement at faculty level between your home university and Thomas More University of Applied Sciences.
As an exchange student, you remain enrolled at your home university while spending a few weeks or months at Thomas More, free of charge.
You can only study at Thomas More as an exchange student if your home institution has a formal exchange agreement with Thomas More.
Besides the possibility of doing a traineeship we offer two types of courses:
- Interdisciplinary courses offered to all Thomas More University of Applied Sciences incoming students (Star Track programme)
- Specific courses in the bachelor of nursing / midwifery education.
The combination of an intership and other classes will make your experience even more colourful!
The academic year in a nutshell
Below you can find an overview of the courses ( under reservation of changes), with the number of credits per phase. Credits express how many hours you need on average to process the subject matter (incl. lessons). Count about 25 to 30 hours for 1 study credit.
- We have explained the most important courses in a blue tooltip.
- Would you like to know the detailed content of each subject? Check the programme guide.
- Courses marked with a * are offered fully online. This means you don't have to physically come to Belgium to take these courses.
Code ECTS Autumn Spring PROFESSIONAL SKILLS Traineeship in nursing or midwifery i Z14019 10 x x Traineeship in nursing or midwifery i Z14020 15 x x Traineeship in nursing or midwifery i Z14021 20 x x Medical English i n.a. 3 x x Internatonal activity* i Z14018 3 x x Tour of Flanders* i n.a. 3 x x FUTURE PROOF SKILLS Code ECTS Autumn Spring Summer School Z16184 3 x Startup Bootcamp Social & Climate Impact Z25777 3 x Project Case Z15589 5 x Intercultural communication Z14469 5 x Ethics Z15593 5 x First Aid Z25930 3 x Survival Dutch i Z13456 3 x Survival Dutch i Z13455 3 x Code ECTS Autumn Spring PROFESSIONAL SKILLS Traineeship in nursing or midwifery i Z14019 10 x x Traineeship in nursing or midwifery i Z14020 15 x x Traineeship in nursing or midwifery i Z14021 20 x x Medical English i n.a. 3 x x Internatonal activity* i Z14018 3 x x Tour of Flanders* i n.a. 3 x x FUTURE PROOF SKILLS Summer School Z16184 3 x Startup Bootcamp Social & Climate Impact Z25777 3 x Project Case Z15589 5 x Intercultural communication Z14469 5 x Ethics Z15593 5 x First Aid Z25930 3 x Survival Dutch i Z13456 3 x Survival Dutch i Z13455 3 x
Courses - Additional Info
- Only third and fourth year nursing students are eligible for a clinical traineeship.
- Only third year midwifery students are eligible for a clinical traineeship.
- Candidates have to demonstrate a good command of English minimally at an intermediate level, CEFR B2 (Common European Framework of Reference for languages)
Traineeship in nursing or midwifery
The student will be guided by a link tutor (the academic liaison point between the University and the placement). The link tutors will monitor, coach and evaluate the learning process (the student is responsible for their own learn process), based on individual learning goals and based on the information from the mentors and the head-nurse of the ward / organization.
The final evaluation will be made at the end of a period on the ward by the link tutor and the mentors. This evaluation will be made on evaluation forms from the home institute or will be based on our own evaluation system.
Yes, we care
During your exchange you can count on a whole support team to truly make you feel at home at Thomas More. The International Support Team, the International Office, your 'buddy', Student Services (STUVO), all of our lecturers and many more will personally guide you to ensure that you blend in from the beginning and prosper so that we help you to deploy and nurture your talents. You will never feel alone.
Are you passionate about people and interested in different disciplines and cultures? Do you aim high and have what it takes to make a difference? Are you ready to shape the future? Do you have an open mind? Do opportunities and challenges trigger you to do more?
Become a STAR @ Thomas More
STAR-track is a multi-disciplinary exchange semester in English. Team up with students with a different cultural and study background. A STAR semester consists of a total of 30ECTS which combines 15ECTS professional skills in your field of expertise (business) with 15 ECTS future proof skills of your choice.
More information in our webpage.
Need to know
- Practical information
Become a STAR @ Thomas More
- Do you have questions regarding...
- Application deadline
- 15 May (to start in September - STAR-Track Programme)
- 31st of October (to start in February)