Exchange programme | Nursing and Midwifery
The Nursing and Midwifery Exchange Programme at campus Lier is part of the STAR-Track Programme
Follow your passion and choose a career in healthcare!
- You want to be a key figure in the health and welfare sector with a warm heart for people. You also have a critical eye and an interest in science.
- Thanks to various elective courses and internships, you can map out a tailor-made route. Follow your passion and expand your expertise!
- Throughout the programme, you will develop various nursing skills and learn clinical reasoning.
- In the innovative skills lab, you can practise safely with simulation patients and learn to react accurately in acute situations with interactive robots.
On our campus, everyone is unique. And because we are small-scale, we quickly get to know your aspirations. Together, we map out a realistic and ambitious route.
Please take your seat (international experience)
Forget the blinkers! We take an open and fresh look at healthcare in Belgium and far beyond. In phase 1 you check in for the international week and learn how to deal with diversity in healthcare. One phase later, we arrange a meet-and-greet with students from all over the world. And in the third and fourth phase, you can take a plane for a long internship at a top destination.
- Exam regulations
- Personal coaching
In the field of nursing and midwifery, it is no longer possible to ignore the international aspect. That is why we focus on internationalisation and exchange in these programmes.
We don’t offer a compulsory course. But besides a traineeship in nursing or midwifery, students can choose courses for a maximum of 30 ECTS per semester. We offer two types of courses:
- Interdisciplinary courses offered to all Thomas More University of Applied Sciences incoming students.
- Specific courses in the bachelor of nursing / midwifery education.
As (intercultural) communication is very important in nursing and midwifery practice we advise you to choose the course Survival Dutch. We recommend strongly to attend the course Tour of Flanders (only in the second semester). As you get a broader view on health care in Flanders and you will get to know other Erasmus students in Flanders.
The course ‘Medical English’, is created especially for those students who are not native English speakers.
The academic year in a nutshell
Below you can find an overview of the courses ( under reservation of changes), with the number of credits per phase. Credits express how many hours you need on average to process the subject matter (incl. lessons). Count about 25 to 30 hours for 1 study credit.
- We have explained the most important courses in a blue tooltip.
- Would you like to know the detailed content of each subject? Check the programme guide.
- The combination of courses can be restricted by planning issues (as courses will be provided in different campuses) and will be communicated in forehand!
Courses marked with a * are offered fully online. This means you don't have to physically come to Belgium to take these courses.
Code ECTS Autumn Spring PROFESSIONAL SKILLS Medical English i Z13424 3 x x Traineeship in Nursing Z15547 26 x x Traineeship in Nursing Z15555 15 x Traineeship in Nursing Z15556 15 x Traineeship in Midwifery Z25266 11 x x International activity i Z14018 3 x x Tour of Flanders i n/a 3 x Tackling Global Challenges* i Z15302 3 x Code ECTS Autumn Spring FUTURE PROOF SKILLS Summer School Z16184 3 x Startup Bootcamp Social & Climate Impact Z25777 3 x Project Case Z15589 5 x Intercultural communication Z14469 5 x Ethics Z15593 5 x First Aid Z25930 3 x Survival Dutch i Z13456 3 x Survival Dutch i Z13455 3 x Code ECTS Autumn Spring PROFESSIONAL SKILLS Medical English i Z13424 3 x x Traineeship in Nursing Z15547 26 x x Traineeship in Nursing Z15555 15 x Traineeship in Nursing Z15556 15 x Traineeship in Midwifery Z25266 11 x x International activity i Z14018 3 x x Tour of Flanders i n/a 3 x Tackling Global Challenges* i Z15302 3 x FUTURE PROOF SKILLS Summer School Z16184 3 x Startup Bootcamp Social & Climate Impact Z25777 3 x Project Case Z15589 5 x Intercultural communication Z14469 5 x Ethics Z15593 5 x First Aid Z25930 3 x Survival Dutch i Z13456 3 x Survival Dutch i Z13455 3 x
There are no specific pre-requisites for this programme.
See the ECTS file of the different courses for specific information.
Yes, we care
During your exchange you can count on a whole support team to truly make you feel at home at Thomas More. The International Support Team, the International Office, your 'buddy', Student Services (STUVO), all of our lecturers and many more will personally guide you to ensure that you blend in from the beginning and prosper so that we help you to deploy and nurture your talents. You will never feel alone.
Are you passionate about people and interested in different disciplines and cultures? Do you aim high and have what it takes to make a difference? Are you ready to shape the future? Do you have an open mind? Do opportunities and challenges trigger you to do more?
Become a STAR @ Thomas More
STAR-track is a multi-disciplinary exchange semester in English. Team up with students with a different cultural and study background. A STAR semester consists of a total of 30ECTS which combines 15ECTS professional skills in your field of expertise (business) with 15 ECTS future proof skills of your choice.
More information in our webpage.
Need to know
- Practical information
- Additional studies
Become a STAR @ Thomas More
- Do you have questions regarding...
- Application deadline
- 15 May (to start in September - STAR-Track Programme)
- 31st of October (to start in February)