Exchange programme | Interior Design
You’ve got a colourful personality with sustainable ideas and out-of-the-box concepts
- You're fascinated by the world of interior design and furniture and would love to create and develop your own designs.
- This programme starts by building your basic knowledge. You will learn how to analyse a space, how to deal with different functions and how to develop your own design language. The theoretical courses cover construction and materials, ergonomics, and cultural history.
- If you've never created your own design before, don’t worry, we’ll start from scratch. Along the way you’ll learn how to convert your digital sketches into appealing presentations.
- You can personalise your programme by choosing graduation assignments and electives that interest you.
- You will learn by doing. You will receive personal support from industry experts in our practical workshops.
GIDE (=Group for International Design Education)
Every year, 3rd year students of the study programme ‘Interior Design’ are working on a large project together with students and teachers from our partner universities in Slovenia, Germany, Italy, Madeira, Scotland, Switzerland and China.
The event takes place in a different partner university every year.
Faydherbe Academy is the platform of the Interior, Design & Architecture unit of Thomas More in which students, teachers, alumni, and partner companies challenge each other to go on a discovery tour to find the designer and do-gooder in themselves. We organise courses, workshops, excursions and other events to guide them in this. Some activities are exclusively for students, but the majority is open to anyone interested in interior design or architecture.
Practice-oriented Scientific Research with a Real Impact
We empower the designers of the future!
Rather than engaging in fundamental empirical research, our researchers develop design tools that arm designers in the fields of interior design, furniture design and architecture to meet the challenges of tomorrow.
We do this in 3 themes :
- Circular Design : when waste becomes a raw material
- Space and Service Design : when the user becomes a designer
- Inclusive Design : when specific needs prevail
- Exam regulations
- Personal coaching
Interior, Design at Thomas More is an exchange programme that aims to inspire and guide the creativity of future interior designers. Outside-the-box thinking is important to create innovative and technically manageable design. If your current studies are in line with the above mentioned subject, then you will enjoy our Interior Design Exchange Programme.
You will study at Campus Lucas Faydherbe, a stimulating complex of bright workspaces, with the newest technologies such as 3D-printers, laser cutters all situated in the vibrant city of Mechelen.
The exchange programme is offered during the Autumn semester and contains a package of courses for up to 30 ECTS.
The academic year in a nutshell
Below you can find an overview of the courses ( under reservation of changes), with the number of credits per phase. Credits express how many hours you need on average to process the subject matter (incl. lessons). Count about 25 to 30 hours for 1 study credit.
- We have explained the most important courses in a blue tooltip.
- Would you like to know the detailed content of each subject? Check the programme guide.
- Courses marked with a * are offered fully online. This means you don't have to physically come to Belgium to take these courses.
COMPULSORY COURSES Code ECTS Autumn Spring Design - 3_S [small] or i YD0333 9 x Design - 3_M [medium] or i YD0334 9 x Design - 3_L [large] i YD0335 9 x Research & Innovation i YD0332 6 x Communication Skills i YD0339 3 x Extra-Curricular Activities i Yxxxxx 3 x ELECTIVE COURSES Survival Dutch i YR0118 3 x Ethical Managerial Problem Solving i YR0349 4 x Intercultural Communication i YR0129 3 x Entrepreneurship i YD0269 3 x AutoCAD i YD0268 3 x Design & Research i YD0252 3 x COMPULSORY COURSES Code ECTS Autumn Spring Design - 3_S [small] or i YD0333 9 x Design - 3_M [medium] or i YD0334 9 x Design - 3_L [large] i YD0335 9 x Research & Innovation i YD0332 6 x Communication Skills i YD0339 3 x Extra-Curricular Activities i Yxxxxx 3 x ELECTIVE COURSES Survival Dutch i YR0118 3 x Ethical Managerial Problem Solving i YR0349 4 x Intercultural Communication i YR0129 3 x Entrepreneurship i YD0269 3 x AutoCAD i YD0268 3 x Design & Research i YD0252 3 x
You will need to show your portfolio, an online English language test (level B2) and have a skype interview.
Exams will take place in January.
Re-examinations will be taken online if possible. Otherwise they will be physical at and guided by your home institution.
Yes, we care
During your exchange you can count on a whole support team to truly make you feel at home at Thomas More. The International Support Team, the International Office, your 'buddy', Student Services (STUVO), all of our lecturers and many more will personally guide you to ensure that you blend in from the beginning and prosper so that we help you to deploy and nurture your talents. You will never feel alone.
Need to know
- Practical Information
- Additional Studies
- Do you have questions regarding...
- your courses or Learning Agreement? Contact your International Coordinator !
- your nominations, application, visa or practical arrangements? Contact the International Office via email@example.com
- Application deadline
- 15 May (to start in September)
- Do you have questions regarding...