Exchange programme | Applied Architecture
Project manager of architectural gems
- Architecture has always intrigued you and you’re hoping to find a job in this field one day.
- This programme will train you to become the link between clients, architects and contractors. You will use state-of-the-art computer models and drawing programs and discover how virtual construction can increase efficiency and sustainability in the construction sector.
- You will acquire the necessary knowledge to translate detailed architectural projects into executable projects. You will also learn how to organise architecture projects from start to finish.
- Practical experience is a common theme in this programme. You will be encouraged to visit companies, exhibitions and lectures, all from the start of your course.
- When you graduate, you will be qualified to work as an assistant architect, a BIM expert, a calculator, or an architectural draftsman.
- With this diploma, you will find a job in no time. The construction sector has an acute shortage of highly trained professionals with a technical background.
- If you prefer to continue studying, you can! Opt for a post-graduate programme in Renovation Technology and Monument Care or transition to a Master of Architecture programme.
Faydherbe Academy is the platform of the Interior, Design & Architecture unit of Thomas More in which students, teachers, alumni, and partner companies challenge each other to go on a discovery tour to find the designer and do-gooder in themselves. We organise courses, workshops, excursions and other events to guide them in this. Some activities are exclusively for students, but the majority is open to anyone interested in interior design or architecture.
Push your boundaries, discover Interior, Design & Architecture
Our campus, named after the 17th century Mechelen sculptor and architect Lucas Faydherbe, is a stimulating complex of large and light studios with a cinema hall and foyer. In our manned workrooms there are 3D printers, laser cutters, panel saws, flocking machines and a series of plastic recycling machines. And in the What's on you can learn and share new information and skills. In our inner garden you can work or just not work at all.
- Exam regulations
- Personal coaching
Applied architecture is the collective term for all the aspects which help ensure that complex architectural projects can be completed successfully. The focus is on the more practical side of architecture rather than the design side. You will become the perfect link between clients, architects and contractors.
The programme is about how to build skeletons, interiors and custom furniture to fit together but also about the characteristics of the materials they are made of. You will learn about computer models ànd also to experience the virtual construction of a building and its technical problems.
You will study at Campus Lucas Faydherbe, a stimulating complex of bright workspaces all situated in the vibrant city of Mechelen. The exchange programme is offered during the Autumn or Spring semester and contains a package of courses for up to 30 ECTS per semester.
The academic year in a nutshell
Below you can find an overview of the courses ( under reservation of changes), with the number of credits per phase. Credits express how many hours you need on average to process the subject matter (incl. lessons). Count about 25 to 30 hours for 1 study credit.
- We have explained the most important courses in a blue tooltip.
- Would you like to know the detailed content of each subject? Check the programme guide.
- Courses marked with a * are offered fully online. This means you don't have to physically come to Belgium to take these courses.
Code ECTS Autumn Spring COMPULSORY COURSES Project II i YD0331 9 x x Virtual Building CAAD BIM3 i YD0309 6 x x Communication Skills i YD0339 3 x x Extra-Curricular Activities i Yxxxxx 3 x x ELECTIVE COURSES Code ECTS Autumn Spring Survival Dutch i YR0118 3 x x Ethical Managerial Problem Solving i YR0349 4 x x Intercultural Communication i YR0129 3 x x Entrepreneurship i YD0269 3 x AutoCAD (English) i YD0268 3 x Design & Research i YD0252 3 x Code ECTS Autumn Spring COMPULSORY COURSES Project II i YD0331 9 x x Virtual Building CAAD BIM3 i YD0309 6 x x Communication Skills i YD0339 3 x x Extra-Curricular Activities i Yxxxxx 3 x x ELECTIVE COURSES Survival Dutch i YR0118 3 x x Ethical Managerial Problem Solving i YR0349 4 x x Intercultural Communication i YR0129 3 x x Entrepreneurship i YD0269 3 x AutoCAD (English) i YD0268 3 x Design & Research i YD0252 3 x
You will need to show your portfolio, an online English language test (level B2) and have a skype interview.
Exams will take place in January (Autumn semester) or in June (Spring semester).
Re-examinations will be taken online if possible. Otherwise they will be physical at and guided by your home institution.
Yes, we care
During your exchange you can count on a whole support team to truly make you feel at home at Thomas More. The International Support Team, the International Office, your 'buddy', Student Services (STUVO), all of our lecturers and many more will personally guide you to ensure that you blend in from the beginning and prosper so that we help you to deploy and nurture your talents. You will never feel alone.
Need to know
- Practical Information
- Do you have questions regarding...
- your courses or Learning Agreement? Contact your International Coordinator !
- your nominations, application, visa or practical arrangements? Contact the International Office via firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application deadlines
- 15 May (to start in September)
- 31 October (to start in February)
- Do you have questions regarding...