Certificate Programme In African Business Studies
Unique in Flanders, Belgium.
- The programme will provide an in-dept to key issues in the Africa business environment with a strong focus on entrepreneurship including business culture and negotiation, marketing and consumer behaviour, business policy and legal aspects, Imports and exports, services and management, geopolitics and institutions, etc.
- The programme prepares you to manage the fundamentally different challenges businesses face in the African markets or when working with African partners and companies.
- Designed to be relentlessly practical, this unique programme combines business expertise with African political, economic and cultural understanding.
- Participants will receive intensive lectures from experts with thorough knowledge of the Africa business environment.
- At the end, the programme concludes with multiple opportunities for participants to pitch their business ideas to local and international investors for seed funding.
- Upon completion of the programme, participants will be awarded a certificate in African Business Studies.
- You can take a module or follow the complete program which will be run for a year.
- The certificate programme African Business Studies (ABS) is offered by the Centre for African Business Studies at the Thomas More University of Applied Science, Mechelen Belgium.
- Aims of the programme
- Learning outcomes
- Targeted students
- Tuition Fees
- Teaching method & material
- Admission requirements
Aims of the programme
- To learn to do business with Africa’s five regions
- Understanding of global business with an African regional focus spanning across East, West, Centre, North, South of Africa.
- To understand the importance of the African Continental Free Trade Agreement
- To analyse foreign trade (Import, Export) and foreign direct investment flows in the African countries
- Understanding of intercultural business practices in the different regions
- Understanding of local culture in North, East, South, West, Centre Africa
- Understanding the fastest growing region in the world
- Understanding a growing middle class of approximately 400 million people
- Understanding a market of 1.2 billion people projected to reach 1.7 billion people by 2030
Semester 1 | Modules focuses on
- African Business Systems: State, Institutions and the Global Economy.
- African Business Societies from a Comparative Perspective North, South, East, West & Centre.
- Intercultural business practices.
- Marketing, sales, and consumer behaviours.
Semester 2 | Modules focuses on
- Import and Export Management.
- Workshops/ projects with partner embassies/ guest lectures on diverse topics (sustainability, financial management, human resource management, corporate social responsibility).
- Entrepreneurship and hands-on experience with the MORE Business Lab (Business Modelling/Real life company cases in Africa). Sustainable business building through the MORE Business Lab.
The One year Certificate Programme In African Business Studies corresponds to 60 ECTS-credits. One module corresponds approximately to 8 credits and comprises 5 contact sessions of three hours, plus practical assignments.
Learn how to:
- Select, screen and build a profitable business relationships with African partners.
- Conduct successful business meetings and negotiations.
- Understand and apply African business etiquette.
- Structure import and export arrangements.
- Understand Africa’s political and economic landscape and the effects on conducting business.
- Gain insight in the numerous business opportunities in Africa.
The programme is designed to provide invaluable skills and techniques to individuals, business professionals and organisations working with markets in Africa or planning expansion to the continent.
- Module 1 | African Business Systems: State, Institutions and the Global Economy.
- Module 2 | African Business Societies from a Comparative Perspective North, South, East, West & Centre.
- Module 3 | Intercultural business practices.
- Module 4 | Marketing, sales, and consumer behaviours.
- Module 5 | Import and Export Management.
- Module 6 | Workshops/ projects with partner embassies/ guest lectures on diverse topics (sustainability, financial management, human resource management, corporate social responsibility).
- Module 7 | Entrepreneurship and hands-on experience with the CABS Business Lab (Business Modelling/Real life company cases in Africa). Sustainable business building through the CABS Business Lab.
1.499 euro for EU/EEA students and 1.999 euro for Non-EU students
Possibility to follow part of the programme (module). A fixed component of 345,20 euro and a variable component of 75 euro per credit will be charged for a module.
In case of cancellation of registration, the sum of 250 euro will be deducted from the tuition fee as administrative cost.
Teaching method & material
- Interactive lectures
- Practical classes/case studies
- Personal work
- Assignments Individually
- Assignments In group
- All study materials will be provided during the program
- A minimum level of A-Level Certificate or equivalent
- Academic transcript in English or Dutch
- English Proficiency
- Copy of ID/Passport
- Motivation Letter
- Working in Belgium
Working in Belgium
Working in Belgium after graduation
If you are an EEA citizen, check the EURES website for more information about working in Belgium and other EU countries.
4 ways to work in Belgium after graduation (non-EEA students):
- (NEW!) Residence permit with the purpose of finding a job
- Working as a highly qualified person
- Working as a trainee/intern
See the KU Leuven website for more info.